You can set up a PPTP on your MAC device in five simple steps. These are:
- Open system preferences on your device and click on the network’s cell. You will find this network cell in the internet and wireless row of the preferences.
- Once you have entered the networks’ cell click on the + button. You will find it on the connections pane. It will allow you to add the VPN of your choice to the device.
- This is the crucial step as it officially marks the setup of the VPN. In the drop-down menu, look for the VPN option and click it, then click on the PPTP option. And hit create.
- Here comes the package choice. You need to enter the ibVPN address to have access. This access precisely depends on the package you have chosen. If you want to have a look at all the available servers, you need to check the My Servers menu and put in your username, which, most of the time, is your registered email. You will enter it in the Account name section. Also, enter the server address.
- Lastly, go into the authentication settings to enter your password and hit okay.
These are the primary steps of setting up a VPN connection on MAC devices. If you want to further protect the connection, click on the advanced button and click on the Send all traffic over VPN, now click okay. This will entirely shift your web activities on the VPN connection and none of your activities will be traced. Now click apply. On the page where you entered the address and account name tick the box ‘Show VPN status in menu bar’; it is just a precautionary measure’. Hit connect now.
These settings allow you to connect or disconnect a VPN from the menu bar only. You don’t need to go through the lengthy steps anymore. Congratulations, you have set up a VPN successfully.
What is a VPN?
A virtual private network is the need of the era. Security from public networks and open identities is important and VPN provides you just that. Its main function is to provide you privacy and anonymity in the world of public networks. It does so by shadowing your internet protocol address, also known as, IP address and makes you invisible plus untraceable. You may think that a secured hotspot of WiFi may also give you that, however, that is not the case. VPN is the strongest privacy source you can get online and offers completely encrypted connections; no loopholes.
The Mode of Action
I, myself, have been curious about the methodology of a VPN. It works by providing a tunnel that works like a portal. This tunnel has an exit point in another, unknown location. It allows you to work online freely and access any website, application, or page. It works by first encrypting the data. Encryption makes your data unreadable by changing the words or style. Now, even if someone gets into your data, it cannot be accessed or read because of the encryption.
Another perk of using a VPN is keeping your search and browsing history hidden from your service provider. Without it, all of your histories can be extracted by the provider. VPN servers operate from all over the world, which means that your activity can appear from anywhere. Even if the search engines try to track your data and information, they won’t get your IP address.
Why Do You Need a VPN?
Web surfing or executing any operation on an unbound Wi-Fi network implies you could be uncovering your private data and perusing propensities. That is the reason a virtual private system, VPN, ought to be an unquestionable requirement for anybody worried about their online security and protection.
For instance, at a coffee-shop, if you are utilizing the public network, and reading your emails, accessing your cloud data, you are not safe unless you are using a network that is secured with a password and is private. In all other cases, your data is exposed to everyone else in the coffee shop and anyone can extract your information from the network. To be free of such threats, VPN is your only solution. The secrecy that a VPN gives secures your online exercises: sending messages, shopping on the web, etc. VPNs likewise help keep your web surfing mysterious. Lastly, if you want to remove VPN from your device it’s smooth as well.
What perks do you get with a VPN?
VPN can help you in hiding a lot of private stuff that is at risk if using public networks. Some of these are:
- Search history – suppose you are suffering from a medical condition and you are searching for solutions online. You will notice that after some time you will start seeing ads relating to general medical help or particularly, your disease. How did this happen? It happened because all of your data is read and recorded by the search engines and service managers. However, with a VPN you can be secure from all such breaches.
- IP address – whenever you post something or send someone a letter, you always mention a return address. This is the address where your parcel will be returned if not reached its destination. That’s exactly how your IP address works. It is your location that is provided on the internet. Anything you are doing online, even if you are reading this, can take your location to any in everyone who tracks and accesses your IP address. Unless you are using a public computer or one that is not yours, you are secure from anyone accessing your IP address with the help of a VPN.
- International streaming – suppose you are somewhere in the world where you can’t stream certain services, websites, etc. This can happen because of certain copyright issues, some contractual terms, or any other rules and regulations. You can prevent this check and watch whatever you want with the help of a VPN. As VPN can operate from anywhere across the world you can put in the IP address for a country where the service works. This will mask your original location and replace it with the fake IP address. You can now stream anything you want, play any game, and use any application.
- Device security – cyber crimes are increasing in diversity and now have started targeting the devices we use. Whether it is a laptop, desktop, IPod, IPad, Android phone, or anything else, you are not safe. VPN protects you from hackers in more than one way and keeps them from accessing your device.
- Online freedom – VPN secures against your web access supplier seeing your history. So you’re secured if an administration organization asks your network access supplier to provide records of your web movement. Unless your VPN supplier doesn’t log your perusing history (some VPN suppliers do), your VPN can help secure your web activity.
Choosing a VPN
Before choosing a VPN you need to get answers to some questions from the provider. Some pressing components can be:
- Your privacy and consent: you should make sure that your VPN does not log or record your data. In this case, don’t choose this VPN
- Protocol status; PPTP or OpenVPN are two of the best-known protocols that provide the strongest security. Strong contemplates the number of operating systems supported by the VPN protocol and safety from online breaches and hackers.
- Data limits; you need to make sure that the services you use offer unmetered connections, bandwidth, and no data limits. It hugely depends on your internet usage. So, if you are an intense user, you need to get a parallel VPN.
- Server location; every VPN is not ideal enough to be operated from any locality you want. Hence, you need to access a VPN that operates and has services in the country of your desire.
- Multiple device availability; using a VPN on more than one device simultaneously is one of your prime requirements. So when you choose a VPN, it must operate on 3-5 devices without liming the use.
Why PPTP is an ideal Protocol?
PPTP, named for, Point-to-point tunneling protocol is one of the staples of VPN. It was introduced in 1995 and is best known for its proper tunneling between the client and the server provider. This protocol translocate your data through a tunnel by encrypting it at the same time that provides you double security. Another reason for its popularity is its platform compatibility. It works on Windows, Mac, Linux, IOS, Android, and many other operating systems. Before decrypting the data packets the two ends authenticate it and once it is cross-checked only then it is decoded and read by the end-user.
How To Setup PPTP VPN on Android
The process is quite similar to the one for MAC. You need to follow these simple steps:
1. Click on the network and internet in your device’s settings.
2. Click the advanced option and get to the VPN.
3. Now click on the + or add VPN network and enter the server details.
- The name can be anything of your choice.
- Hit PPTP in type
- Add the server address and check the encryption box (for it is necessary to encode the data)
- Provide your username and password (Registered with the server) and click save. Some VPNs may stay connected all the time but some can’t. So, you need to see that as well.
- The connection is created
4. To connect to it, click on the network, add username and password, save account information and click or tap on ‘connect’.
5. You will be connected to the network in a few seconds.
6. To see your new IP address, enter the server’s website and see your location.
Anton is the one who came up with the HifiBeast project and kept things going initially. He’s an Electric and Computer Science Engineer which helped him a lot as well as his interest in the modern gadgets keep him going when it comes to sharing some new & cool stuff. If you have any query or facing any issues with your gadgets, shoot him an email. ( Shoot him an email now ).