The coils of the refrigerator are made up of copper tubing that is responsible for the air-conditioning of the refrigerator. The most common problem that people face with their refrigerators is the problem of mold growth.
When a refrigerator has not been cleaned for a long time, there is more probability of mold growth. Molds grow due to the moisture and dirt that accumulates on the coils. In this article, we will discuss the process of cleaning the refrigerator coils.
How Does the Refrigerator Coil Work?
The coil is a vital part of the refrigerator that is responsible for the cooling process. The coils are present at the back of the refrigerator. The coils are connected to a compressor.
When the compressor works, it pumps refrigerant into the coils. This helps in transferring heat from inside the refrigerator to outside. The cool air is circulated throughout the refrigerator. This makes sure that all parts of the refrigerator are cooled.
The Risks Of Mold Growth
Mold growth in the refrigerator coils may result in a few problems. These problems are as follows:
- The temperature of the refrigerator may rise due to the mold growth. When this happens, the refrigerator has to work harder to maintain the temperature of the refrigerator. The refrigerator will not be able to cool the food properly due to mold growth.
- The moisture that has accumulated on the coils may cause the refrigerator to rust.
- Molds may cause allergies and infections in the food stored in the refrigerator.
- When mold growth occurs, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the temperature inside the refrigerator. This will lead to spoilage of food.
- Molds may also cause a bad odor in the refrigerator.
The Benefits of Cleaning the Refrigerator Coils
Cleaning the refrigerator coils can provide you with a number of benefits. Such as:
- The cleaning process will help you in improving the air-conditioning of your refrigerator. When you clean the coils, you will be able to increase the efficiency of your refrigerator.
- The cleaning process will also help you in reducing energy costs. If your refrigerator is not working properly, it will consume more energy than it should and thus increasing your electricity bills.
- The cleaning process will also help you in improving the lifespan of your refrigerator. This is because if the coils are not cleaned, they will rust and will wear out faster.
- As mentioned above, the cleaning process will also help you in preventing the growth of mold in your refrigerator. Molds can cause various diseases, and hence it is important to clean the refrigerator coils.
What You Need to Prepare
First of all, to clean your refrigerator colis, you need to prepare the following things:
- Disinfectant Spray
- A clean rag or sponge.
- Compressed air
- Vacuum cleaner
Cleaning the Refrigerator Coils
You can clean the refrigerator coils by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Switch off the power supply to the refrigerator. Unplug the refrigerator from the power supply. Make sure that you do not touch the power cable with wet hands.
Step 2: Disconnect the power cord from the electrical outlet.
Step 3: Remove the rear cover of the refrigerator. The rear cover is located behind the refrigerator. It is secured to the refrigerator by using screws and clips.
Step 4: Remove all the screws and clips that secure the rear cover to the refrigerator. Remove all covers, shelves, drawers, and racks from inside of the refrigerator. Place them on a safe place so that they do not get damaged during cleaning process.
Step 5: Open all freezer compartments of your refrigerator. Leave them open for 10 minutes so that they cool down.
Step 6: Remove the coils from the back of the refrigerator. You can remove them by using a screwdriver. If you find it difficult to remove the coils, then you can use a flathead screwdriver and pry it away from the refrigerator.
Step 7: Clean all the coils with a vacuum cleaner. You can also use compressed air to clean all the coils and other parts of your refrigerator. Use water, disinfectant spray, and a clean rag or sponge to clean the outside of the refrigerator and make sure that all the dirt and grime is removed from the coils. Then, dry all parts with a clean rag or sponge. If you find it difficult to dry the outside of the refrigerator body, then you can use a hair dryer to dry them.
Note: Don’t use any chemicals to clean the coils and don’t make the coils wet. Only use water to clean the outside parts like the body of the refrigerator. After cleaning, place all the parts back in their respective places. Make sure that you put them back in their original position otherwise, the refrigerator will not work properly.
Step 8: Turn on the power supply to the refrigerator. Plug the refrigerator back into the power supply. Check if it is working properly or not. If it is working properly, then you are done with the cleaning process.
Step 9: If your refrigerator is not working properly after cleaning the coils, then you can call a technician to repair your refrigerator. The technician will check the coils and other parts of the refrigerator to identify the problem.
In this article, we have discussed the process of cleaning the refrigerator coils and the outside parts of your refrigerator. You can follow the steps given above to clean your refrigerator coils. Make sure that you clean your refrigerator coils once in a month so that they do not get accumulated with dirt and grime.
It is also important to keep your refrigerator clean and free from mold growth. Cleaning the refrigerator coils regularly will help you to avoid mold growth in your refrigerator.